Originally built by volunteer firemen in 1923, the building later served as City Hall. After the construction of neighboring Fire Station 13 in 1941, the building was vacated and fell into decay.
The building was demolished in 1970 by the San Carlos Lions Club with the goal to rebuild and replicate its original firehouse architecture. The new building was dedicated on July 4, 1976 during the Bi-Centennial celebration.
After interior and exterior work was finished in 1981, the Lions Club gifted the building to the city. The San Carlos Villagers were appointed as guides for the museum.